A Film Cameraman is an expert camera operator who employs a variety of film techniques using digital, electronic, and film cameras. A Film Cameraman is chiefly guided by a director or director of photography who expects them to interpret his instructions with the intent of making a movie or capturing still photos.
Tasks of a Film Cameraman
- The Film Cameraman assembles camera equipment, which include tripods, monitors, lighting, cables, headphones
- The Film Cameraman provides insights and advices on how to best capture a shot or make a shot work for the benefit of the audience
- The Film Cameraman should be creative, innovative, experimental, and has the ability to plan shots down to the second
- The Film Cameraman rehearses and choreographs scenes before the actual shoot
- The Film Cameraman study film scripts to effectively plan for the shots to be taken
- The Film Cameraman fixes or solves technical or practical problems that arises during shoot
- The Film Cameraman should have a good timing in capturing important actions, movements or scenes
- The Film Cameraman practices camera moves required for pre-arranged shots
- The Film Cameraman is responsible for maintenance and repair of equipment
- The Film Cameraman drives crew, actors and equipment to and from shooting locations
- The Film Cameraman is always conscious of the health and safety issues
Degrees and Training to Become a Film Cameraman
Tell us about your experience as a Film Cameraman . How much you earned, who your employer was, how much education was required or anything that pertains to this career. Help others who are trying to enter into this field. All information is kept anonymous.