The video editor is responsible for technical and creative work in the preparation of videotape projects.
He is also responsible for operating computer-controlled video editing equipment and components which assemble videotape projects for public presentation. The video editor performs with considerable independence under the general direction of an administrative superior, project producer or video director.
The Video Editors must be able to do the following job functions:
- The video editors should discuss video project plans with subject matter specialist, producer and director to determine the appropriate video editing.
- The video editor must use computer-controlled video editing systems to prepare videotape for presentation.
- They operate videotape recorders, computerized editing controllers, video switchers, color video monitors, test signal generators and related equipment, controls, and components.
- They operate audio signal processing equipment such as equalizers, noise reducers, and audio mixing consoles and related equipment.
- They assist with and perform associated studio production work such as operating audio, videotape machines, cameras, and lighting sets.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Video editors are knowledgeable about the methods, video equipment, personal computers, and techniques used in the video editing field.
- Video editors know the uses, operations, and limitations of videotape editing systems and related equipment.
- Video editors have the ability to effectively communicate ideas orally and in writing.
- Video editors are able to visualize production scripts and other verbal or written instructions.
- Video editors effectively operate and maintain video editing systems and related equipment.
Degrees and Training to Become a Video Editor
Tell us about your experience as a Video Editor . How much you earned, who your employer was, how much education was required or anything that pertains to this career. Help others who are trying to enter into this field. All information is kept anonymous.