With the growing demand of cosmetology and the increasing influence of vanity nowadays there is no doubt that the jobs that cater to beauty treatments are increasing in the present. You may want to regard a job in this field especially in skin care because spas and skin salons are gaining popularity in the field of business. Being an Esthetician is one of the popular jobs when it comes to the field of skin care. The information below will cover more information about this interesting job.
What is an Esthetician?
An Esthetician is a therapist who caters to the needs and beautification of the skin. Aside from the skin, this person also deals with hair care and make up. One’s job is to perform different skin and spa treatments. Working as an Esthetician can be rewarding if you have a passion and interest in skin care.
Duties of an Esthetician
- Perform skin treatments and procedures such as facials, removal of hair, care of eyebrows and eyelashes, make up, chemical peeling and micro dermabrasion.
- Perform non invasive machine treatments such as face lifts and muscle toning.
- Conducts skin analysis, cleansing and skin exfoliation.
- Giving advices to customers regarding make up, skin and hair care.
- Execute different spa treatments such as body wraps, foot spa and body massage.
- Listen and work collaboratively with the customers in dealing with customer’s needs.
- An Esthetician is not a physician therefore this person cannot diagnose skin diseases and conditions, give medical prescriptions and propose treatments. One can perform treatments according to doctor’s orders.
- Offers skin products that may treat mild cases of acne as well as pore cleansing.
- Since an Esthetician deals with different skin products, one has to ensure the safety of these products when it will be use to the customers especially when using acids as a form of skin treatment and enhancement.
Work Condition of an Esthetician
- Many Estheticians often work in spa and skin salons because most of the procedures and treatments they learn from their education are often performed in these institutions.
- Aside from the most common workplace of this career, Estheticians also work as make up artists in photography studios, fashion shows, television, free lance for different types of occasions and even in the mortuary.
- Estheticians also work hand in hand with dermatologist to treat different kinds of skin conditions such as acnes.
- Estheticians also work in the field of plastic surgery and burn treatments.
- The procedures being executed by this person especially when working in spas and skin salons will depend on the skills acquired through years of experience. For example, one may be able to handle complex procedures such as machines when she is already familiar or expert with the procedure to be performed.
Educational Requirements of an Esthetician
- Estheticians must be licensed in the place where they work. In order to acquire that license and become an Esthetician, a person should be able to acquire and complete 260 to 600 hours of training. The hours of training will depend on the state you want to work. Aside from the training, aspiring persons must pass written and practical exams.
Occupation and Progress of an Esthetician
- The most common place where Estheticians work are at spas and salons but nowadays opportunities for this type of career are now expanding as much as the industry that specializes in beauty as a whole is. As mentioned earlier, Estheticians also work on the field of production such as in commercials and movies. Aside from this common types of career path, some Estheticians opt to venture in opening their own beauty establishments. Others undertake the field of cosmetic research, development, sales and management.
- There are many career opportunities that an Esthetician can have and its only a matter of using your skill wisely and lean towards your interest and passion.
Tell us about your experience as a Esthetician . How much you earned, who your employer was, how much education was required or anything that pertains to this career. Help others who are trying to enter into this field. All information is kept anonymous.