Anesthesia technicians are always considered as the right hand of the Anesthesiologist. They are trusted by the practitioner and most often are always involved in a successful operation.
What is an Anesthesia Technician?
The primary role of an Anesthesia Technician is to assist the anesthesiologist as well as the CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist). Anesthesia Technician Job Description also includes maintenance of anesthesia equipment. This includes but is not limited to cleaning as well as disinfecting and the assembly of the equipment used for related procedures.
Duties of an Anesthesia Technician
- An Anesthesia Technician should be capable in using various electrical and mechanical devices that are used for testing.
- Records observations, inspects and maintains transducers and calibrates sand zero monitors. Other equipment that is needed to be prepared also includes the arterial line, CVP, routine intravenous lines and Swan Ganz. Operating room equipment like the Drager or Narkomed anesthesia machines, rapid infusion/transfusion systems and pulse oximeter should be well maintained. The candidate should be able to identify faulty equipment to be able to troubleshoot it on a basic level and determine if the equipment needs to be referred to the appropriate technical repair servicemen if there are no guidelines established.
- There are technicians that also provide assistance in preparing anesthesia for patients undergoing surgical procedure. An Anesthesia Technician is also responsible for monitoring the equipment during an ongoing surgery and may be asked to replenish stocks like emergency airway bags. This involves in the coordination with vendors that provide the specific item and place it in sterile storage areas. Analyzing scheduled operation is a mandatory requirement to guarantee that the surgical supplies are sufficient and this will determine the need for anesthesia equipment.
- An Anesthesia Technician should dispose supplies as well as equipment used. Replacing used parts with sterile ones and replacing stocks with various supplies and drugs. While this is being observed, the Anesthesia Technician should consider the guidelines set by the Center for Disease Control.
Condition of Work of an Anesthesia Technician
- Anesthesia technicians should prepare themselves in working shifting schedules. Working hours may shift dynamically and will include night shifts as well as working on holidays. One should expect to handle pressure and stress as well as meeting the different demands of the job itself.
Educational Requirements of an Anesthesia Technician
- Aspiring candidates should be at least a high school graduate. Graduates of Associate degree programs are also preferred and those who are certified after taking the exam given by the American Society of Anesthesia Technologists and Technicians (ASATT). For those who were certified by ASATT, expect increased responsibilities when lending a licensed anesthesiologist during a surgical procedure.
- Certified Anesthesia Technicians are expected to know the safety guidelines and procedures. Administering anesthesia to patients is expected, as well as evaluating patient candidates that will undergo surgery. Since an advanced role is required for certified Anesthesia Technicians, knowledge of certain medical terminologies is a plus.
Occupation and Progress of an Anesthesia Technician
There is a great chance of employment for individuals looking for jobs in this field. There is a big demand for Anesthesiologist which means there is also an increased need for anesthesia technicians.
Responsibilities will vary from one clinic to another based on the needs. Various Anesthesiologists require different set of advanced skills but will stick to the basics. An Anesthesia Technician should be flexible enough to meet the varying needs of the attending Anesthesiologists to meet the demands that this field requires.
Tell us about your experience as a Anesthesia Technician . How much you earned, who your employer was, how much education was required or anything that pertains to this career. Help others who are trying to enter into this field. All information is kept anonymous.