The Medical Equipment Preparers job function is to prepare, sterilize, install, or clean laboratory or healthcare equipment. They may perform routine laboratory tasks and operate or inspect equipment.
Tasks for Medical Equipment Preparers
- The Medical Equipment Preparers organize and assemble routine and specialty surgical instrument trays and other sterilized supplies, filing special requests as needed.
- The Medical Equipment Preparers clean instruments to prepare them for sterilization.
- The Medical Equipment Preparers operate and maintain steam autoclaves, keeping records of loads completed, items in loads, and maintenance procedures performed.
- The Medical Equipment Preparers records sterilizer test results.
- The Medical Equipment Preparers disinfect and sterilize equipment such as respirators, hospital beds, and oxygen and dialysis equipment, using sterilizers, aerators, and washers.
- The Medical Equipment Preparers start equipment and observe gauges and equipment operation to detect malfunctions and to ensure equipment is operating to prescribed standards.
- The Medical Equipment Preparers examine equipment to detect leaks, worn or loose parts, or other indications of disrepair.
- The Medical Equipment Preparers reports defective equipment to appropriate supervisors or staff.
- The Medical Equipment Preparers check sterile supplies to ensure that they are not outdated.
- The Medical Equipment Preparers maintain records of inventory and equipment usage.
Knowledge for Medical Equipment Preparers
The Medical Equipment Preparers needs knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar. The Medical Equipment Preparers need knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction. The Medical Equipment Preparers need knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources. The Medical Equipment Preparers need knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects. The Medical Equipment Preparers needs knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
Work Activities for Medical Equipment Preparers
- Inspecting Equipment, Structures, or Material- The Medical Equipment Preparers inspecting equipment, structures, or materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems or defects.
- Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings- The Medical Equipment Preparers need the ability to monitor and review information from materials, events, or the environment, to detect or asses problems.
- Handling and Moving Objects- The Medical Equipment Preparers uses hands and arms in handling, installing, positioning, and moving materials, and manipulating things.
- Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge- The Medical Equipment Preparers must keep up to date technically and apply new knowledge to your job.
- Documenting/Recording Information- The Medical Equipment Preparers enter, transcribe, records, stores, or maintains information in written or electronic/magnetic form.
- Controlling Machines Processes- The Medical Equipment Preparers use either control mechanisms or direct physical activity to operate machines or processes not including computers or vehicles.
- Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards- The Medical Equipment Preparers uses relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
- Performing General Physical Activities- The Medical Equipment Preparer performs physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials.
Degrees and Training to Become Medical Equipment Preparers
Tell us about your experience as a Medical Equipment Preparers . How much you earned, who your employer was, how much education was required or anything that pertains to this career. Help others who are trying to enter into this field. All information is kept anonymous.