The key tasks of a purchasing agent includes coordinating and directing activities of workers engaged in cutting, transporting, storing, or milling products and in maintaining records.
They also arrange for processing and/or resale of purchased products. Purchasing agents determines method of procurement, such as direct purchase or bid.
The Purchasing Agents must be able to do the following job functions:
- The purchasing agents prepare purchase orders or bid requests.
- The purchasing agents review bid proposals and negotiates contracts within budgetary limitations and scope of authority.
- They negotiate contracts with farmers for the production or purchase of farm products.
- They review orders to determine product types and quantities required to meet demand.
- They estimate land production possibilities, surveying property and studying factors such as crop rotation history, soil fertility, and irrigation facilities.
Work Related Expectations:
- Purchasing agents must examine and test crops and products to estimate their value, determine their grade, and locate any evidence of disease or insect damage.
- Purchasing agents must maintain records of business transactions and product inventories, reporting data to companies or government agencies as necessary.
- Purchasing agents should discuss defective or unacceptable goods or services with inspection or quality control personnel, users, vendors, and others to determine source of trouble and take corrective action.
- Purchasing agents must coordinate activities involved with procuring goods and services, such as raw materials, equipment, tools, parts, supplies, and advertising, for establishment.
Tell us about your experience as a Purchasing Agent . How much you earned, who your employer was, how much education was required or anything that pertains to this career. Help others who are trying to enter into this field. All information is kept anonymous.