People mostly depend on services of package delivery such as FedEx in order to transport parcels in different parts of world for personal or business reasons. Read on for the job description of a FedEx package handler.
What is a package handler?
Package handlers in FedEx (Federal Express) work in loading docks or warehouses where they are responsible in lifting and pushing packages of different sizes, getting them ready for delivery. FedEx package handlers move all packages by hand, without the assistance of mechanical equipment.
Duties of a package handler in FedEx
- Federal express package handlers are required to lift 100 lbs. or more by themselves or about 150 lbs. with the aid of another person. Package handlers are usually required to do their job even at holidays and weekends, as Federal Express delivers 365 days per year.
- The main duty for FedEx package handlers is to load and unload parcels and packages on and off the planes or trucks. Package handlers mostly receive instructions from their supervisors at the start of their work shift and are typically expected to accomplish their assigned duties in a certain time period of time.
- As FedEx package handlers do their job, they are required to follow order, procedures and policies about proper stacking and handling of the package boxes in order to keep the boxes and its contents unharmed and intact. They should also keep accurate records on the jobs that are completed and report some cargo discrepancies to their heads or superiors.
Condition of work
- Since FedEx company doesn’t provide heir package handlers with forklifts, pallet jacks or any other materials in handling equipments, package handlers should be physically fit so as to manually handle, push, carry, pull and lift boxes that weigh about or more than 100 lbs.
- The work environment is mostly large and open warehouse that comes with concrete floorings. Their job often requires them walk or stand for long periods during work shift. Work hours are flexible and overtime work may also be required especially during holidays.
There are no particular educational requirements in becoming a FedEx package handler as FedEx usually provides an on-the-job training for the particular position. The minimum age requirements are at least 18 years old with no criminal background and drug test checked.
Occupation and Progress
Employment opportunities are widely available in various areas such as sales, management, marketing and recruitment. According to US Bureau of Labor and Statistics, the average annual wage for full-time FedEx package handlers is about $21,955 per annum.
Tell us about your experience as a Package Handler FedEx . How much you earned, who your employer was, how much education was required or anything that pertains to this career. Help others who are trying to enter into this field. All information is kept anonymous.