Anesthesiologists are medical practitioners, who focus on relieving pain and taking care of patients during and after surgery and other medical procedures. Anesthesiologists work in hospitals, outpatient clinics and also along with a patient care team.
The Anesthesiologist must be able to do the following tasks:
- The anesthesiologists administer anesthetics to prevent patients from feeling pain and sensations during the surgeries.
- They monitor the vital signs of the patient during surgery or medical procedure and carry out the necessary adjustments accordingly.
- They monitor the patient through the initial recovery stage and administer drugs and medications that are essential during recovery
- They may also help in pain management to patients suffering from chronic pain such as respiratory and neurological illnesses.
- They discuss with physicians and medical professionals, regarding the type and method of anesthetics to be administered to the patient.
- They examine the patient before the surgery, getting his medical history and determining the risk involved during surgery or medical procedures.
- They record the amount of anesthesia administered and the condition of the patient throughout the procedure is also an anesthesiologist’s job.
- They position the patient on the operating table to provide maximum comfort and providing surgical accessibility to both the patient and the surgeon.
- They provide and maintain life support and airway management during an emergency.
- They help prepare a patient before an emergency surgery.
Skills and Knowledge the Anesthesiologists should possess:
- Anesthesiologists require having the ability to make quick and correct judgments; considering the risks involved, one needs to have the focus and ability for crucial decision making.
- They need to be a good listener and understand what people are saying. This very important as even a minor point missed may prove to be life-threatening during surgery.
- They must have proper knowledge and skill to handle and operate the equipment and systems involved during the medical procedure.
- They should have good reading and comprehension skills as it is very important to understand the work related documents.