The Skin Care Specialist provides skin care treatments to face and body to enhance an individual’s appearance.
Tasks for the Skin Care Specialist
- The Skin Care Specialist sterilizes equipment and cleans work areas.
- The Skin Care Specialist records of client needs and preferences and the services provided.
- The Skin Care Specialist demonstrates how to clean and care for skin properly and recommend skin-care regimens.
- The Skin Care Specialist examines clients’ skin, using magnifying lamps or visors when necessary, to evaluate skin condition and appearance.
- The Skin Care Specialist selects and applies cosmetic products such as creams, lotions, and tonics.
- The Skin Care Specialist cleanses clients’ skin with water, creams, or lotions.
- The Skin Care Specialist treats the facial skin to maintain and improve its appearance, using specialized techniques and products, such as peels and masks.
- The Skin Care Specialist refers clients to medical personnel for treatment of serious skin problems.
- The Skin Care Specialist determines which products or colors will improve clients’ skin quality and appearance.
- The Skin Care Specialist performs simple extractions to remove blackheads.
Knowledge and Skill requirements for the Skin Care Specialist
The Skin Care Specialist needs knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs, assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction. The Skin Care Specialist needs knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems. The Skin Care Specialist needs the skill of active listening. This can be achieved by giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times. The Skin Care Specialist talks to others to convey information effectively. They also must actively look for ways to help people. The Skin Care Specialist must be aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
The Skin Care Specialist must understand the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision making. The Skin Care Specialist determines the kind of tools and equipment needed to do their job. They use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems. The Skin Care Specialist must understand written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents. Often the Skin Care Specialist must adjust actions in relation to others’ actions.
Work Activities for Skin Care Specialist
- The Skin Care Specialist must establish and maintain interpersonal relationships. They achieve this by developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time.
- The Skin Care Specialist is responsible for selling or influencing others by convincing them to buy merchandise or otherwise change their minds or actions.
- The Skin Care Specialist must update and use relevant knowledge in their job function. This includes keeping up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to the job.
- The Skin Care Specialist assists and cares for others by providing personal assistance, medical attention, emotional support, or other personal care to others such as coworkers, customers, or patients.
- The Skin Care Specialist is responsible for getting information by observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
- The Skin Care Specialist performs for or works directly with the public. The Skin Care Specialist performs for people or deals directly with the public. This includes serving customers in restaurants and stores, and receiving clients or guests in their business. In some cases the Skin Care Specialist may go to the home or office of their clients for a private session.
- The Skin Care Specialist must be able to identify objects, actions and events. They are able to identify information by categorizing, estimating, recognizing differences or similarities, and detecting changes in circumstances or events.
- The Skin Care Specialist documents information. They enter, transcribe, record, store, or maintain information about the client in written or electronic/magnetic form.
- The Skin Care Specialist must think creatively in order to service their client. They need to be able to design, develop, or create new applications, ideas, relationships, systems, or products, including artistic contributions.