The airconditioning technicians are responsible for installing, maintaining, and repairing of air-conditioning equipment. They can even do heating or refrigeration work, as they are trained to work on both heating and cooling units, including motors, switches, pumps, wiring, thermostats and fans.
- The airconditioning technicians install, inspect, maintain, and repair air conditioner.
- They ventilate equipment and controls making sure they operate efficiently and continuously.
- They perform regular maintenance work on cooling units.
- They diagnose electrical and mechanical defects and malfunctions.
- They install, replace, or repair equipment that has been damaged.
- They make adjustment and do calibrations of thermostatic controls.
- They install new air-conditioning systems and equipment.
- They inspect and maintain refrigerators and ice machines, and chilled water supply systems.
- They clean blowers and coils, check tensions of belts and motors.
- They make plans and designs of new air-conditioning systems including their installation and maintenance.
- The airconditioning technicians should be able to work in places where they are exposed to dust, fumes, noise, toxic materials and high voltage equipment.
- They should also be capable of working in confined and hot spaces like roofs, crawl ways and attics.
- They may also have to work in adverse weather and may be required to lift heavy objects, bend, stoop, kneel or stand for long stretches of time.
- The airconditioning technicians must at least have a high school diploma or GED. Those who want to do this job can get training from vocational or technical schools.
- They must have certification through programs approved by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- They should know the principles of air-conditioning unit repair and maintenance, including controls, MSDS sheets, safety practices and procedures and tools used.
- They should be able to read and interpret building regulations and codes implemented by city, state and federal government agencies pertaining to installing air-conditioning units.