The Automotive Body Repairer is responsible for the repair and customizes automotive bodies and frames.
Primary Objectives of Automotive Body Repairer:
- Automotive Body Repairer is concerned about the repair and customization of automotive bodies and frames.
- The Automotive Body Repairer is concerned with safety so they make sure that all equipment is adequate and kept maintained for the job function.
The Automotive Body Repairer positions a dolly block against surface of dented area and beats opposite surface to remove dents, using a hammer. Then straightens bent automobile or other vehicle frames, using pneumatic frame-straightening machine. The Automotive Body Repairer fills depressions with body filler and files, grinds, and sands repaired surfaces, using power tools and hand tools. The Automotive Body Repairer paints and sands repaired surface, using paint spray gun and motorized sander. Then the Automotive Body Repairer cuts opening in vehicle body for installation of customized windows, using templates, and power shears or chisel. He must fit and secure windows, vinyl roof, and metal trim to vehicle body, using caulking gun, adhesive brush, and mallet.
The Automotive Body Repairer removes damaged fenders and panels, using wrenches and cutting torch, and installs replacement parts, using wrenches or welding equipment. The Automotive Body Repairer measures and marks vinyl material and cuts material to size for roof installation, using rule, straightedge, and hand shears. The Automotive Body Repairer cuts away damaged fiberglass from automobile body, using air grinder. The Automotive Body Repairer soaks the fiberglass matting in resin mixture and applies layers of matting over repair area to specified thickness. Then he mixes polyester resin and hardener to be used in restoring damaged area. The Automotive Body Repairer peels separating film from repair area and washes repaired surface with water.
The Automotive Body Repairer examines vehicle to determine extent and type of damage. He then must cut and tape plastic separating film to outside repair is to avoid damaging surrounding surfaces during repair procedure. The Automotive Body Repairer removes upholstery, accessories, electrical window-and seat-operating equipment, and trim to gain access to vehicle body and fenders. The Automotive Body Repairer reads specifications or congers with customer to determine custom modifications to alter the appearance of the vehicle. Often the Automotive Body Repairer adjusts or aligns headlights, wheels, and brake system after they have completed the repair work. The Automotive Body Repairer cleans work area, using air hose to remove damaged material and to remove discarded fiberglass strips used in the vehicle repair procedure.
The Automotive Body Repairer must have the following elements of knowledge:
- The Automotive Body Repairer must have knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, benefits, repair, and maintenance.
- The Automotive Body Repairer must have knowledge of equipment, tools, mechanical devices and their uses to produce motion, light, power, technology, and other applications.
- The Automotive Body Repairer must have knowledge of materials, methods, and the appropriate tools to construct objects, structures, and buildings.
- The Automotive Body Repairer must have knowledge of design techniques, principles, tools and instruments involved in the production and use of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- The Automotive Body Repairer must have a good knowledge of numbers, their operations, and interrelationships including arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications.
- The Automotive Body Repairer must have knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services including needs, assessment techniques, quality service standards, alternative delivery systems, and customer satisfaction evaluation techniques.
- The Automotive Body Repairer must have knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, and applications including air, water, material dynamics, light, atomic principles, heat, electric theory, earth formations, and meteorological and related natural phenomena.
- The Automotive Body Repairer must have knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- The Automotive Body Repairer must have knowledge of electric boards, processors, chips, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- The Automotive Body Repairer must have knowledge of composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger, signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- The Automotive Body Repairer must have knowledge of principles and methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including their relative costs, advantages, and limitations.