The Sound Engineer Tech operates machines and equipment to record, synchronize, mix, or reproduce music, voices, or sound effects in sporting arenas, theater productions, recording studios, or move and video productions.
Tasks for the Sound Engineer Technician
- confers with producers, performers, and others to determine and achieve the desired sound for a production, such as a musical recording or a film.
- set up, tests, and adjusts recording equipment for recording sessions and live performances; tear down equipment after event completion.
- regulates volume level and sound quality during recording sessions, using control consoles.
- prepares for recording sessions by performing activities such as selecting and setting up microphones.
- reports equipment problems and ensures that required repairs are made.
- mixes and edit voices, music, and taped sound effects for live performances and for prerecorded events, using sound mixing boards.
- synchronizes and equalizes prerecorded dialogue, music, and sound effects with visual action of motion pictures or television productions, using control consoles.
- records speech, music, and other sounds on recording media, using recording equipment.
- reproduces and duplicates sound recordings from original recording media, using sound editing and duplication equipment.
- separates instruments, vocals, and other sounds, and combines sounds later during the mixing or postproduction stage.
- Attenuators – Audio filters
- Audio mixing consoles – Audio compressors; Musical instrument digital interface MIDI sequencers; Noise reduction systems; Reverb devices
- Equalizers – 1/3 octave equalizers; Channel equalizers; Peak equalizers; Shelving equalizers
- Microphones – Condenser microphones; Pressure zone microphones; Ribbon microphones; Wireless microphones
- Multimeters – Polarity checkers
- Radio frequency transmitters or receivers – Wireless receivers; Wireless transmitters
- Soldering irons or guns – Soldering irons
- needs knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
- needs knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- needs knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- needs knowledge of the theory and techniques required to compose, produce, and perform works of music, dance, visual arts, drama, and sculpture.
- needs knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- needs knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- needs the skill to control operations of equipment or systems.
- Sound Engineer Technician – needs the skill to watch gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- needs the skill to understand written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- needs the skill to determine causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- needs the skill of understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem solving and decision making.
- needs the skill to give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- needs the skill to adjust actions in relation to others’.
- needs the skill to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- needs the skill to determine the kind of tools and equipment needed to do the job.
- needs the skill to be aware of others’ reactions and understand why they react as they do.
Skills used by the Sound Engineer Technician
Tools used by the Sound Engineer Technician
Knowledge used by the Sound Engineer Technician