The Terrazzo Worker applies a mixture of cement, sand, pigment, or marble chips to floors, stairways, and cabinet fixtures to fashion durable and decorative surfaces.
Terrazzo Workers Job Tasks:
- The Terrazzo Worker measures designated amounts of ingredients for terrazzo or grout according to standard formulas and specifications, using graduated containers and scale, and load ingredients into portable mixer.
- The Terrazzo Worker cut metal division strips and presses them into the terrazzo base for joints or changes of color to form designs or patterns or to help prevent cracks.
- The Terrazzo Worker blends marble chip mixtures, place into panels, and push a roller over the surface to embed the chips.
- The Terrazzo Worker grinds surfaces with a power grinder or polish surfaces with polishing or surfacing machines.
- The Terrazzo Worker modifies mixing, grouting, grinding, and cleaning procedures according to type of installation or materials used.
- The Terrazzo Worker grinds curved surfaces and areas inaccessible to surfacing machine, such as stairways and cabinet tops, with portable hand grinder.
- The Terrazzo Worker spreads, levels, and smooth concrete and terrazzo mixtures to form bases and finished surfaces, using rakes, shovels, hand or power trowels, hand or power screeds, and floats.
- The Terrazzo Worker molds expansion joints and edges, using edging tools, jointers, and straightedges.
- The Terrazzo Worker washes polished terrazzo surface, using cleaner and water, and apply sealer and curing agent according to manufacturer’s specifications, using brush or sprayer.
- The Terrazzo Worker mixes cement, sand, and water to produce concrete, grout, or slurry, using hoe, trowel, tamper, scraper, or concrete-mixing machine.
The Terrazzo Worker must have knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads. The Terrazzo Worker needs knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications. The Terrazzo Worker must have knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance. The Terrazzo Worker must have knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods. The Terrazzo Worker must have knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
The Terrazzo Worker needs skills in adjusting actions in relation to others’ actions. The Terrazzo Worker must give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times. The Terrazzo Worker performs routine maintenance on equipment and determine when and what kind of maintenance is needed. The Terrazzo Worker needs skills in determining the kind of tools needed to do his job. They often need to use mathematics to solve work related problems and good skills in training others on how to do the work function. The Terrazzo Worker is required to teach others in the crew how to do the job. The Terrazzo Worker must be able to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
The Terrazzo Worker must know how to repair machines or systems using the needed tools. The Terrazzo Worker must have the ability to quickly move their hand, their hand together with arm, or their two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects. The Terrazzo Worker must have the ability to keep hand and arm steady while moving the arm or while holding the arm and hand in one position. The Terrazzo Worker must have the ability to make precisely coordinated movements of the fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate or assemble very small objects. They need to be able to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or vehicle to exact positions.
The Terrazzo Worker must have the ability to see details at close range within a few feet. The Terrazzo Worker must have the ability to use their abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuous over time without giving out of fatiguing. The Terrazzo Worker needs the ability to exert muscle force repeatedly or continuously over time. This involves muscular endurance and resistance to muscle fatigue. The Terrazzo Worker needs to be very strong and have the capabilities of using muscle strength in their whole body to do the work function.