There are a number of specialties in the medical field and one of the most common is Gynecology. This field is important since it deals with a woman’s health and most women are conscious about it. These physicians are called Gynecologist.
Understand the job of a Gynecologist more by reading this job description.
What is a Gynecologist?
A Gynecologist is a physician who is in charge of a woman’s health. They specialize in treating and diagnosing diseases and disorders of a female reproductive system.
Duties of a Gynecologist
- A Gynecologist gives client’s advice regarding their nutrition, physical activity, hygiene and prevention of diseases. They examine patient’s history and diagnostic results for them to come up with a diagnosis. They keep patient’s record that is comprised of medical history, diagnostic test results and reports.
- Gynecologist is the one who explains procedure and talk about diagnostic test results or prescribe the appropriate medication to their patients. They keep an eye on a patient’s condition, observe its progress and re-examine treatment as needed.
- They suggest therapies, prescribe medications and perform procedures to cure disorders. Sometimes they would have to refer patients to a specialist depending on the situation. They usually treat the diseases that are concerned with the female organs.
- A Gynecologist conducts researches to come up with or assess procedures, medications, treatment options to prevent injury from happening. They work together with the other members of the health care team to monitor the patient. They also implement programs in the hospital or community setting to help the public of the ways of preventing diseases.
Work Condition of a Gynecologist
- A Gynecologist usually works for long and irregular hours. They will be on-call if ever emergency situations come-up. On the usual day, they would start it by reviewing their patient’s chart in their clinic or in the hospital then they make rounds to see the present condition of the patient.
- They will be asked to travel to different hospitals, depending on a clients’ situation. A Gynecologist also has to attend seminars and trainings to help keep them abreast of the current trends in medicine.
Educational Requirements of a Gynecologist
- You will have to undergo a lengthy process to become a Gynecologist. First you have to be enrolled in a medical school for four years and then go to a four year residency. After accomplishing that residency, one can have additional training to have a subspecialty. And last, they have to pass a licensure exam to legally practice this job.
Occupation and Progress of a Gynecologist
- There is no easy way to get to the medical profession. They can start by opening a solo practice or work in a hospital. They can advance in this profession by having more skills, knowledge and expanding the scope of their practice. They can also be involved in a specified organization related to their field where they have the chance to be appointed as committee members or hold a higher position where they get respect from their colleagues.