The Paving Equipment Operator operates equipment used for applying concrete, asphalt, or other materials to road beds, parking lots, or airport runways and taxiways or equipment used for tamping gravel, dirt, or other materials includes concrete and asphalt paving machine operators, form tamper, tamping machines operators, and stone spreader operators.
The Paving Equipment Operator Tasks
- The Paving Equipment Operator starts machine, engage clutch, and push and move levers to guide machine along forms or guidelines and to control the operation of machine attachments.
- The Paving Equipment Operator inspects, clean, maintain and repair equipment, using mechanics hand tools, or report malfunctions to supervisors.
- The Paving Equipment Operator machines to spread, smooth, level, or steel-reinforced stone, concrete, or asphalt on road beds.
- The Paving Equipment Operator operates oil distributors, loaders, chip spreaders, dump trucks, and snow plows.
- The Paving Equipment Operator coordinates truck dumping.
- The Paving Equipment Operator sets up and tears down equipment.
- The Paving Equipment Operator operates tampering machines or manually rolls surfaces to compact earth fills, foundation forms, and finished road materials, according to grade specifications.
- The Paving Equipment Operators shovel blacktop as part of their job function.
- The Paving Equipment Operators drive machines onto truck trailers, and drive trucks to transport machines and material to and from job sites.
- The Paving Equipment Operator observes distribution of paving material to adjust machine settings or material flow, and indicate low spots for workers to add material.
The Paving Equipment Operator needs knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as highways and roads. The Paving Equipment Operator needs knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance. The Paving Equipment Operator must have knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property and institutions. The Paving Equipment Operator needs knowledge of principles and methods for methods for moving people or goods by air, rail, sea, or road, including the relative costs and benefits. The Paving Equipment Operator needs knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar. The Paving equipment Operator needs knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
Skills needed for Operating Equipment Operator
- The Paving Equipment Operator needs skills in performing routine maintenance on equipment and determining when and what kind of maintenance is needed.
- The Paving Equipment Operator needs skill in the art of instructing others. This includes teaching members of his crew how to perform certain parts of their job function.
- The Paving Equipment Operator needs skill in critical thinking that is the use of logic and reasoning to identify the strengths, and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- The Paving Equipment Operator needs skill in operation and control. This includes controlling operations of equipment or systems.
- The Paving Equipment Operator needs skill in equipment selection. This includes determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- The Paving Equipment Operator needs skill in active listening. This includes giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- The Paving Equipment Operator needs skill in troubleshooting techniques. This includes determining causes of operating errors and deciding what to do about it.
- The Paving Equipment Operator needs skill in talking to others to convey information effectively.
- The Paving Equipment Operator needs skill in operation monitoring. This includes watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- The Paving Equipment Operator needs the ability to adjust actions in others’ actions.
- The Paving Equipment Operator needs the ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- The Paving Equipment Operator needs the ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.
Tell us about your experience as a Paving Equipment Operators . How much you earned, who your employer was, how much education was required or anything that pertains to this career. Help others who are trying to enter into this field. All information is kept anonymous.