The Meter Readers read meters and record consumption of electricity, gas, water, or steam.
The Meter Readers job function is to read electric, gas, water, or steam consumption meters and enter data in route books or hand-held computers. The Meter Reader walks or drives vehicles along established routes to take readings of meter dials. The Meter Reader uploads into office computers all information collected on hand-held computers during meter rounds, or return route books or hand computers to business offices so that data can be compiled. The Meter Reader verifies readings in cases where consumption appears to be abnormal, and record possible reasons for fluctuations. The Meter Reader inspects meters for unauthorized connections, defects, and damage such as broken seals. The Meter Reader reports to service departments any problems such as meter irregularities, damaged equipment, or impediments to meter access, including dogs. The Meter Reader must answer customers’ questions about services and charges, or direct them to customer service centers. The Meter Reader updates clients address and meter location information. The Meter Reader leaves messages to arrange different times to read meters in cases in which meters are not accessible. Often the Meter Reader is required to disconnect utility services at specific locations.
The Meter Reader is responsible for documenting information about the readings on the client’s meters. The Meter Reader enters, transcribes, records, stores, or maintains information in written or electronic form. The Meter Reader provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person. The Meter Reader runs, maneuvers, navigates, or drives vehicles or mechanized equipment, such as forklifts, passenger vehicles, aircraft, or water craft. The Meter Reader performs physical activities that requires considerable use of your arms and legs and moving the whole body. The Meter Reader compiles, codes, categorizes, calculates, tabulates, audits, or verifies information or data. The Meter Reader deals directly with the public on a daily basis. Often they not only deal with home owners but also business owners or managers. The Meter Reader analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solves problems. The Meter Reader develops specific goals and plans to prioritizes, organizes, and accomplishes your work.
- The Meter Reader needs the ability to understand written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- The Meter Reader must give full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- The Meter Reader talks to others to convey information effectively as part of their job function.
- The Meter Reader uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- The Meter Reader must select and use the proper training methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things that are job related.
- The Meter Reader considers the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- The Meter Reader determines causes of operating errors and decides what to do about it.
- The Meter Reader must understand the implications of new information for both current and future problem solving and decision making.
- The Meter Reader communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- The Meter Reader needs the ability to see details at close range as well as the vision to see things at a far distant.
- The Meter Reader needs the ability to identify and understand the speech of another person. The Meter Reader often communicates with many different people in the job function with different types of accents.
- The Meter Reader needs the ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.
- The Meter Reader needs the ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules for example patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations.
- The Meter Reader needs the ability to listen and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences. They must be able to understand instructions given by their superiors as well as by customers.