Most physicians venture out to different branches of the medical field in order to specialize in certain body systems. If you want to become a doctor and practice specializing, becoming a gastroenterologist may sound exciting. The digestive system is one of the interesting systems of the human body and plays an important role in staying healthy and alive. If you want to be a medical specialist in this field, then be a Gastroenterologist. Of course it will take years of studying but the job can be rewarding as it brings prestige and most importantly you will be able to help others in need.
What is a Gastroenterologist?
A Gastroenterologist is a physician that specializes in the field of Gastroenterology. This means that this person is handling patients with problems, conditions and treatments of the Gastro intestinal tract that includes the esophagus, stomach, small and large intestine, gallbladder, pancreas, liver and other body parts wherein digestion is involved.
Duties of a Gastroenterologist
- Come up with accurate diagnoses
- Ensure safety of patients in performing procedures
- Come up with effective treatments and medical advices to guarantee optimum outcomes
- Be able to present diagnosis, treatment and results to patients and families in a professional way
- Uphold client’s right and welfare. Make it sure that patient’s are not being exploited in cases such as invasion of privacy.
- Coordinate with different medical health professionals that are involve in patient’s care.
Work Condition of a Gastroenterologist
- Gastroenterologist may practice their profession privately or in service of the public. Either way, the daily work of this physician requires flexibility. Most Gastroenterologists are always on call because medical emergencies cannot be predicted. Aside from that, they also have to cater other patients in need that is why the work condition of gastroenterologist is busy most of the time.
- The work schedule of this profession is different from other occupations who usually have regular working hours. Gastroenterologists have to make regular visits to their patients which can be at mornings or evenings, perform surgeries and diagnostic procedures and be available for consultation.
Educational Requirements of a Gastroenterologist
- One should have a four year pre medical course before entering to Medical School. Medical schools prefer applicants who are holders of a Bachelor of Science degree. Another four years of education will then be completed for medical school. After eight years of education from the pre course and medicine proper, it is expected for that person to have a year of internship and another three years of residency. After the three year residency, gastroenterologist aspirants must proceed to another two year residency in gastroenterology.
Occupation and Progress of a Gastroenterologist
- Choosing to practice in the gastroenterology department is a higher position a physician can achieve when compared to being a general practitioner only. The years of education and experience in the medical field has earned this specialist respect and prestige among the society.
- Physicians with specializations are one of the most highest paid jobs in the world. This job is in demand because many people get sick everyday. Aside from that, time, effort and dedication is being offered by these physicians because of the fragile conditions they are always handling which is lives of people. Their expertise are needed for consultation and cure that is why a substantial amount of money is needed for their service.