In contemporary society, the demand for medical technologist in various corners of the world is increasing. A medical technologist plays a crucial role in patient diagnosis and treatment. Below are the duties of a medical technologist in a medical institution.
What is a medical technologist?
Medical technologists are also known by many as clinical laboratory technologists. These medical professionals are employed at clinical laboratories assisting with various diagnostic tests. These are well-trained professionals that perform many of the advanced clinical practices which include biological, chemical, bacteriological tests and immunologic. Their specific duties greatly depend on the level of expertise and level of education they have obtained.
Duties of medical technologist
- A medical technologist analyzes body fluid samples and cells. They are responsible in studying the patient’s specimens for presence of parasites and bacteria and determine the chemical that are present on the specimen.
- Medical technologists draw blood and matches blood for patients who need blood transfusions. They also analyze the level of drugs in the blood in order to know if the patient’s body is reacting to medical treatment given.
- Medical technologists should prepare laboratory specimens that are needed for analysis and should make a note for abnormal cells present on the body fluids.
- A medical technologist uses a variety of medical equipment for diagnostic testing like cell counters, microscopes and utilize computer equipments which allows doing multiple tests all at once.
- Medical technologists analyze and study diagnostic test results and report the significant findings to attending physicians. They may also specialize in different areas which include immune-hematology, microbiology, molecular biology and immunology.
Condition of Work
- Most of medical technologists work in a clinical laboratory at long term health facility or hospitals. However, some are also self-employed and usually owns a laboratory.
- Medical technologists deal with various infectious specimens on a routine basis. With this, they should adhere to some safety protocols, infection control, and sterilization procedures.
- They should also wear body substance isolation gears to protect themselves such as masks, protective goggles and gloves while they are working.
- Medical technologist also works at nighttime as vast clinical laboratories nowadays are open 24 hours/day.
In order to become a medical technologist, a degree in biology, medical technology and anatomy or any course related to the particular field is crucial. Medical technology programs can be attained at universities, colleges and hospitals.
Occupation and Progress
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimated that job employment for a medical technologist will grow by 12% on year 2008 up to 2018. A career as medical technologists will give you job security as the wage is higher as compared to other profession.