Cytologists provide the analysis of abnormal cells. But what would happen if the cancer cells become more complicated? Who will take care of this problem? A specialized cytologist called cytogenic technologist steps in to handle this type of scenario. They offer assistance in more complicated cases that would expedite the diagnosis the patient would ultimately be for the patient.
What is a Cytogenic Technologist?
A cytogenic technologist specializes in studying cells under a microscope. They search for anomalies or abnormalities in a cell within the body. A cytogenic technologist offers a more specialized description of complicated issues that may arise during the course of studying a particular cell.
Duties of a Cytogenic Technologist
- Studies cells from samples obtained from individuals using a microscope. There are over 100,000 cells for each sample and the cytogenic technologist should be very patient and accurate when performing their task.
- Studies slide to identify the growth pattern through the cell’s color, size and shape. These are the main qualities of a cell to determine abnormalities present and to identify what method to use to cure it.
- Provides analysis from various test results obtained from different examinations. Samples may be obtained from different parts of the body such as lung, breast and salivary glands.
Work Condition of a Cytogenic Technologist
- Majority of the workday is spent inside the laboratory in front of a microscope. They may be asked by doctors to collect samples from patients. Assistance in needle aspirations that involves fine needles in collecting cells from different parts of the body.
- Prepares slides to observe abnormalities in cells. Sometimes this procedure is performed by cytotechnicians.
- Work can extend as necessary, especially if urgent attention is required. Expect to have shifting schedules as the job entails a 24 hour operation.
Educational Requirements of a Cytogenic Technologist
- Like the cytologists, this is a highly sensitive job which concerns the accurate details and reports that could save the lives of people who have abnormal cells. A bachelor’s degree is also required with studies in the field of cytology as well as biology. To get the edge in this field further and continuous study is needed to be considered for other position as well.
- Those who would like to teach will also have to take courses in education. Preferably, cytogenic technologists take and pass licensing exams to be certified.
Occupation and Progress of a Cytogenic Technologist
- Supervisory positions are available for cytogenic technologists. They will be able to work in larger laboratories. Moreover, if a cytogenic technologist is experienced and confident enough, they can open their own laboratory with the help of their medical staff.
- Those who would like to take a career in the field of education can get the job as well. They will have to take units in education and can be considered for other position.
The medical industry has a wealth of employment opportunity that they can offer to a lot of people. Everybody needs medical aide and the illness caused by abnormal cellular growth is increasing and this translates to the increase need of cytogenic technologist to help identify and prevent the growth of abnormal cells.